Some people undoubtedly ask at some point why we would trade super cheap rent, lots of land and space to move around for our life here in Seattle? If they saw our arrangement in person they probably would only have a stronger opinion that we are completely mad in the head. We downgraded from a 5 bedroom 2800 square foot home for the comforts of a 2 bedroom apartment which costs more (a 3 bedroom is on the way though…). Why?
There are plenty of reasons and they keep getting stronger by the day:
- Culture – there is so much more culture that is easily accessible here. No getting in the car and driving 45 minutes just to be around other people or engage in cultural fun. Today for instance we hung out on the deck of our apartment overlooking Lake Washington as the Blue Angels buzzed by doing their aerial acrobats. Tons of neighbors came out and the kids played around for a bit.
- Environment – it feels as though the area is actually alive. Green makes a ton of difference along with the rain which is so cleansing.
- People – more laid back. Less in your face and overall nicer.
- Work opportunities – the top companies are up here and they pay well. Yes the cost of living might be a bit higher but you get public transit, well kept parks, events and tons more for your dollar.
- Schools – specifically on Mercer Island the schools are 10’s. They rank some of the highest in the nation and after Arizona’s dismal rankings perhaps anything is better but these happen to be some of the best.
I don’t want to come off as a total nay-Sayer to Arizona but honestly there are better places and I feel so lucky to have made it here.